Think you might miss the January 31 deadline for online tax returns? You’d better come up with a decent excuse if you want to avoid picking up a fine.
HM Revenue and Customs has released its annual list of the 10 worst excuses people have given for filing or paying their tax return late. Unsurprisingly, none of these led to a successful appeal.
- • My pet dog ate my tax return…and all the reminders.
- • I was up a mountain in Wales, and couldn’t find a post box or get an internet signal.
- • I fell in with the wrong crowd.
- • I’ve been travelling the world, trying to escape from a foreign intelligence agency.
- • Barack Obama is in charge of my finances.
- • I’ve been busy looking after a flock of escaped parrots and some fox cubs.
- • A work colleague borrowed my tax return, to photocopy it, and didn’t give it back.
- • I live in a camper van in a supermarket car park.
- • My girlfriend’s pregnant.
- • I was in Australia.